Social Distancing Edition!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge– all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Paola Free Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child not yet in kindergarten can participate. Just follow these steps.
- Register: Sign up online. If you have already registered, skip this step.
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page
- Track Your Reading: Design your own reading log to track each time your child reads 100 books. Go high tech with the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten App or old school tally marks with pencil and paper. Whatever works best for you!
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in story time, daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, help your child make a sign that says “I’ve read (how ever many) books!” Take a picture and email it to Ms. Cari at email@example.com
- Ms. Cari will post your child ‘s picture and first name on the library’s Facebook page.
- If you do not want your child’s picture on social media, just let us know. Please still send in a picture at each level. We are making memory books for the children with their photos once the reach 1,000 books.
- 500 Books: You receive a small stuffed puppy that says “I Love Reading”. We will keep your puppy safe at the library until we are able to reopen,
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Once the library reopens, stop by and pick up your memory book, a backpack, and your choice of a book.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit Paola Free Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
Check out 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten for more educational apps.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just 1 year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions– we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!